You don’t need to be a yoga master to know that practicing yoga offers various health benefits. We read posts on social media, we see ads at the gym, and we hear people talk about it all of time. In the fast-paced society we have all become subjected to, staying behind your breathe is hard. It’s why so many of us are anxious and depressed. We are feeding our bodies junk on the daily and taking no time to reconnect with nature or our health. I get it, you might be a science person and you may harbor some skepticism about the benefits of yoga practice. If that’s you, I have good news: modern research is available to solidify and back-up everything I’m about to tell you. Seriously, look it up! Although a lot of research costs money, there are free research articles on google or at a University library. Don’t take this from me, look it up, or better yet, practice yoga and see the benefits for yourself.
Before adopting a daily yoga routine, you need to understand the amazing things yoga can provide you. The benefits aren’t only physical, they are psychological as well. You will become more confident/motivated and less anxious/depressed. Here is a list provided by Susan Hollister in her book “The Top 100 Best Yoga Poses” regarding some of many (and I really mean many) benefits that yoga can offer you:
- Improves flexibility.
- Opposes food cravings.
- Promotes better blood circulation.
- Enhances fertility.
- Decreases blood pressure.
- Enhances mood.
- Boosts your immune system.
- Supports heart health.
- Eases chronic back pain.
- Speeds hangover recovery.
- Eases asthma symptoms.
- Decreases blood sugar.
- Boosts your memory.
- Encourages focus.
- Delays signs of aging.
- Relaxes your nervous system.
- Boosts your energy levels.
- Enhances your balance.
- Reduces your body’s sodium levels.
- Releases tension.
- Increases your red blood cell count.
- Facilitates sleep.
- Increases and maintains hand-eye coordination skills.
- Promotes proper breathing techniques.
- Protects your digestive system.
- Boosts self-esteem.
If you are still not sold on yoga and are not motivated to start RIGHT NOW… here are some fast facts that may help you decide:
- People have been practicing yoga for over 5,000 years. Seriously, 5,000 years!
- There are more than 100 different yoga poses that range from slow and gentle to fast and intense. This means that anyone can practice yoga. Don’t be intimidated from starting. We all have to start somewhere and the sooner you start, the sooner you will become your best self.
- Yoga can target nearly every muscle and part of your body. It stimulates and massages internal organs that aren’t accessible through traditional massage.
- If you need to start taking on some cardiovascular exercise, yoga can help. Research suggests that it can provide as much of a cardiovascular workout as aerobic exercise.
- It’s fun for team-bonding and group activities. Schedule a weekly yoga session with your friends instead of the usual coffee house hangout.
- You can practice yoga anywhere. You don’t need to have a gym membership or any fancy equipment. You can do it from home, outside at a park or during your lunch break at work.
Yoga is easy to learn and master. It can be practiced alone or with friends. It’s easily accessible and doesn’t cost any money. The health benefits mentioned are some of many and there’s research out there to back it up. If you work long hours and don’t want to invest in a gym membership, consider buying Susan Hollister’s “100 Top Best Yoga Poses” book and giving this thing a try. I promise, you won’t regret it, neither will you look back! From my home to yours, namaste.